Friday, June 8, 2007

Anytime, Anywhere...the Web 2.0 Way!

My eyes were playing tricks on me in class on Wednesday, so I didn't quite get the URL of the most recent cool toy. I've been using the ones that we have learned, so much so, that I have neglected The Leadership Academy.

The Diigo toolbar is very useful, particularly the Sticky Note feature. I am embarrassed to say that I taught my IT Fundamentals students to keep an Excel spreadsheet with their favorite links, so that they could have access to it from any computer in our school. The Excel spreadsheet is a useful tool especially since the school division blocks so many sites. But we shouldn't be teaching our kids this when there are gadgets with enhanced features and functionality.

A new toy that I have found is Google Desktop. Way cool. It is a search engine for your desktop. You can check it out for yourself at: http://desktop.google.com/features.html#overview

Steve Hall commented on his blog that "the firewalls will be tumbling down," or needs to be dismantled, and that teachers and administrators need to get on board with the tools of the future (e.g., blogs, wikis, podcasts, sticky notes, etc...). He is absolutely right. We can learn from the kids, because they understand this stuff much better than we do.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Kevin, You'll have to continue to use these tools with your new position so that you'll have them when you come back to education!

Natalie's Google Account said...

I am encouraged to hear that you are spending so much time "playing" that you have neglected your leadership online work. I think we are all excited about the possibilities of this new information and are anxious to play and learn. We are collaborating, in sorts, as we are supporting each other's learning experience.

Amy said...

I love to hear about the new things that you are trying.

Steve said...

Kevin - you need to think about staying and helping to move techology forward. We'll miss you.