Sunday, June 24, 2007

A New York State of Mind

In my finely appointed room at The Muse, I imagined that I was a pod, and that I was cast into a school system located in Spotsylvania, VA. If you subscribe to the "butterfly theory," my thinking about being a pod, and the actions I took based on those thoughts, had indeterminable effects on society. Regrettably, I missed the last two classes, and I was unable to see the effects on our cohort members. I did manage to compose a letter to administrative officials regarding our advocacy topic, and I read a bit more about heros and how they can act as role models for us as technology leaders.

I had been getting my news via RSS Feeds (subscribed), and vicariously until I spent a few days in NYC. Reading The New York Times reminded me why I don't like The Washington Post, and why I miss the feel of newspaper between my fingers as I sip on a half-caffeine/half-decaf, black coffee. Oh well.

Then I thought. What is the purpose of education, and why am I on this planet? I came to the realization that I am in the "quest through chaos" phase in a new job, and my sense of the purpose of education is to prepare people to manage change, to identify people or groups who can give guidance, to teach us to be at ease with ourselves through trials and tribulations, and to examine our life critically so that we can gain insight into our purpose.

Golly, gee, wouldn't it be nice if we could all agree upon this?

2 comments:

Natalie's Google Account said...

As I read this blog entry I am reminded of how totally angry I get when I think about wonderful teachers, great people, and strong spiritual forces leaving schools. I truly respect teachers for what they are willing to do each day for the measly pennies...

I will miss your creativity, your positive force within the walls of the school. Your name, I am sure, will continue to trip from my tongue whenever anyone has a question about IGPro and I will remember the sage advice given me on the subject.

Find yourself or happiness, whichever you seek, for you are now my idle. One who has taken himself into a fresh, new place and is the explorer of things unfamiliar. Keep in touch!

Shannon R. said...

We really are on a heroic journey...the connections are mind-boggling. Good luck with your journey...wherever it take you!